Monday, February 11, 2008

Polar Plunge Day

ROCHESTER - For the seventh year in a row, I risked my own well being to raise some money. The Special Olympics Polar Plunge at Charlotte has become one of my traditions. Even better, it has become a yearly tradition for my fiancee Melissa as well. We are crazy for sure, but we raised a good amount of money and made some bride and groom costumes to add to the fun.

I woke up at 9AM and to my surprise it was sunny. By 10AM, the weather was quickly changing to blizzardy conditions. By the time Melissa and I made past Kodak Park heading up Lake Ave, it was sunny again, as if the heavens had given a reprieve to the folks going into Lake Ontario as well as to those folks who would be the large crowd.

The top floor of the Roger Robach Beach House was packed with people getting ready to freeze themselves. Some were nervously chatting, some were putting final touches on costumes, but all were excited to show their donors that, yes, it can be done. The torch was lit, the bagpipes started, and we started to funnel out down to the beach. The wind was whipping, but the crowd was roaring, so there was no turning back. It all seems ok until the moment you hit that water. They say the lake was 37 degrees. Not sure what that feels like because my limbs went numb as I dunked myself under water. With red legs and a strong sense of bravado we waved to our friends and family and headed back into the beach house to get dry as fast as possible.

The Polar Plunge is a great event for many reasons. The Special Olympics is a wonderful organization, the event gets folks out in the winter, and proves that we Rochesterians are both tough and generous. I can't wait to warm up, but I really can't wait until next year. Thank you to all who donated to me and to all who showed up to cheer us on. See you next year!

No comments: